There’s nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable or hot in your home. With summer temperatures on the rise, it is tempting to turn down the thermostat to offset the heat. However, the U.S. Department of Energy suggests that we run our air conditioners at 78 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer. This temperature is a lot higher than most of us are used to inside the home during the summer.
This blog will explain why you should consider running your thermostat a little higher than usual during the summer months, as well as methods of staying cool in your home! In addition, we, here at Service Genius, can provide you with tips and tricks to fight off the summer heat.
Why Turn Up The AC?
You might be wondering, why should I turn up my AC when it’s hot outside? Well, the main reason is saving money. By running your AC at 78 degrees, you can lower your energy bill costs! Furthermore, running the AC unit too low can cause damage to the system.
However, you don’t want to compromise your comfort just to save money. This is why we, at Service Genius, have put your comfort first in mind, providing a list of ways to cool down your home to help save money! Consider these tips when cooling down your home over the summer.
1. Turn Up The Temps When You Leave
A great way to save money on energy bills is to turn up your thermostat while you are gone during the day! This way, you don’t have to spend as much of your time in warmer temperatures. Setting your thermostat 7-10 degrees above your normal settings goes a long way in saving money. Another option is to turn off your system entirely. However, if you have pets in the home, make sure to open windows and provide proper ventilation.
2. Keep Out The Heat
There are other improvements you can make to your home that will also keep you cool and comfortable. Here is a quick list of simple changes you can make to help save money on your energy bills:
- If you have blinds in your home, make sure they are closed during the hottest times of the day. If you don’t have blinds, you can invest in blackout curtains! These do wonders in keeping the sun out of your home and cooling the space.
- Don’t use appliances like your oven or dryer during the day! These will only increase the temperatures in your home. Instead, wait until the evenings to use these appliances. You can even try air drying your clothes!
- On cooler nights, consider opening up windows for fresh air! You can also turn off your AC on these nights, giving your system a break. Then, when you wake up in the morning, make sure to close your windows to keep all of that cool air inside.
- Consider installing ceiling fans in your home if you do not have them. By having fans in your room, you can make it feel 4 degrees cooler, providing you with more comfort and savings on your bills!
- Make sure you weatherproof the doors and windows of your house. This practice will help keep cool air inside and hot air outside.
If you try these tips and have your thermostat set to 78 in your home, you have the potential to save money on your energy bills! However, if you notice that you still aren’t saving money, you might need to consider upgrading your HVAC system.
Energy Efficient Air Conditioners & Thermostats
Sometimes your AC just needs an upgrade to help you save money. Reach out to us at Service Genius if you are considering an air conditioning replacement today. Our HVAC experts can help you save money and stay comfortable in your home.
Another improvement you can consider is installing a programmable thermostat. These pieces of technology allow you to set temperatures while you are away from your home! For example, you can turn down your thermostat just before you get home from work, allowing you to cool down your home ahead of time.
Contact Service Genius for all of your air conditioning needs today! One of our HVAC professionals can give you the help you deserve.